My journey to the Net
In 2004, Babson College expressed interest in doing a case study about my background as an African American and how it effected the decisions I’ve made as an entrepreneur; specifically, the decisions I made while guiding ImageCafe.com from launch to liquidity. Of course I jumped at the opportunity, Babson College is, and always has been, the #1 ranked business school for entrepreneurship.
Today, in addition to at Babson, the ImageCafe case study is taught at several other business schools. As a result, I have had the pleasure of sharing my background and experiences with MBA students from around the country.
The case study is the property of Babson College; therefore I am not able to share it here. However, to provide a feel for what the case is all about, below please find: 1) a chapter overview; 2) case preparation questions; and 3) video footage from one of my visits to Babson. For a copy of the actual case, contact:Arthur M. Blank Center for Entrepreneurship
Babson Park, MA 02457-0310
Chapter 1: Staying Afloat
Chapter 2: Growing Up
Chapter 3: An Underworld Introduction to Entrepreneurship
Chapter 4: College Years: From architecture to computer graphics
Chapter 5: Startup #1: Envision Design
Chapter 6: Failure and Re-start: Lessons Learned
Chapter 7: Startup #2: Metamorphosis Studios
Chapter 8: Shifting Gears
Chapter 9: Back To School, Again
Chapter 10: Launching ImageCafe
Chapter 11: The Search for Capital
Chapter 12: The Relentless Pursuit of Capital
Chapter 13: Still Going
Chapter 14: Product On Track, But Out of Cash (OOC!)
Case Preparation Questions:
- Evaluate Clarence Wooten’s strengths and weaknesses.
- What do you think of Clarence’s product versus services conclusion?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of his argument?
- Analyze and assess the ImageCafe opportunity.
- What do you think of Clarence’s fund raising strategy?
- Should he have taken Dwayne Walker’s offer?
- Does he need to raise $3 million?
- How would you respond to Network Solutions’ offer?
- How would you go about valuing ImageCafe?
- What are the personal implications for Clarence Wooten if he sells or not?